Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Meeting with My First Taekwondo Instructor

As you may know, I made a trip over to Portland, Oregon this weekend to meet my first Taekwondo instructor from 1978. I must say, I was a little nervous. It had been 29 years since he has last seen me. I was only 5 years old at the time we moved away and came to Boise.

I didn’t train while I was there, but I sure wish I could’ve. Timing didn’t allow it. Instead, Rachel and I enjoyed listening to stories from long ago. For instance, in 1980, my old Grand Master, Hong Sik Kim, insisted that Master Bettencourt move to Boise to open a Kim’s Taekwondo school. I had known this, but didn’t know some of the details that went along with it.

First, let me explain something about native Koreans. Their culture is based strongly on hierarchy. The hierarchy exists in practically every industry, be it- politics, airline pilots, schooling, or martial arts. In the United States, we have the same hierarchy, just not taken to the same extreme. For instance, a person lower on the hierarchy tree does not question the person above. In addition to that, there is strict seating order at a table, as well as in the car, and even criteria for who enters a building first. In the United States, we follow many of the same criteria to be polite. In Korea, it’s to establish pecking order.

WhenGrand Master Kim decided that there should be a Taekwondo school in Boise, he chose Master Bettencourt to run it. Grand Master Kim took Master Bettencourt on a trip to Boise to show him where the new school would be. Master Bettencourt thought the trip was to see Boise and to decide if this were a place he would want to live and operate a martial art school in.

Well, upon arriving to Boise, Grand Master Kim was excited to show Master Bettencourt the half page phonebook ad he had already placed… with Master Bettencourt’s picture! I could only imagine the look on Master Bettencourt’s face at that very moment. Master Bettencourt enjoyed Oregon and Washington and was used to the environment, and felt uneasy about making the decision to pack up and start a new life and business in another state.

While contemplating the decision on the way back to Oregon, a loud bang happened under the hood of Grand Master Kim’s car. Immediately, Master Bettencourt knew a push rod must’ve blown in the engine. He asked Grand Master Kim when the last time he checked the oil. Grand Master Kim responded, “Oil?”

Whether it was the chain of events, or his intuition, Master Bettencourt decided, at that moment, he would not move to Boise to open a school. Instead, it was my father that started a Kim’s Taekwondo, but not out of the pressure of Grand Master Kim, but rather because he took a job at Morrison Knudsen, coincidently, just after Master Bettencourt decided to stay in Oregon.

Two years later, my father took a different job in Saudi Arabia. At that point, his students were then turned over to Master David Knife who came over to Boise in 1982, of course, under Grand Master Kim’s gentle recommendation.

“So what now?” some people have asked? Master Bettencourt and I decided that there are many things that we can share with each other to help ourselves and our students grow. We discussed many things relating to both the curriculum as well as the business aspect of our Taekwondo schools.

We also discussed doing seminars for each other. In fact, I am going to be getting him some dates to have him come to Boise to put on a special workshop for all of our students. It would mean the world to me to have all of you attend! I will keep you posted.

Respectfully,

Master Richardson
Chief Master Instructor
The Academy of World Taekwondo
www.FreeKarateLesson.com

2 comments:

Master April said...

What a great story! My husband and I teach a branch school of Kim's Taekwondo in McMinnville. We can relate to the "gentle suggestions" Grandmaster Kim makes. I'm sure, however, that he's becoming used to the American way, which is to nod and suggest you will consider what he's saying... then do what you want. My blog (which needs work): kimstkd.blogspot.com

Master April said...

What a great story! My husband and I can relate: Grandmaster Kim has ordered us to start schools in various places. We ended up opening a branch school in McMinnville, and we are loving it. My blog: kimstkd.blogspot.com (needs work).