Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sunday Stroll...at 600 MPH in a Fighter Jet

6:03 pm- I arrive with Rachel, Isaac, Reese, and Zoey to the Appleton Hanger, home of the Hawker Hunter fighter jet. Steve Appleton, one of my Taekwondo training clients, invited me to fly with him in his privately owned Hawker Hunter.

The Hawker Hunter is a British fighter jet originally used by the Royal Air Force. Later, it was exported and used by 19 other air forces. Two countries were known to have been the most enthusiastic about the fighter jet, Sweden and Singapore, and always improving the plane. Steve’s Hawker Hunter actually came from the Singapore Airforce.

6:05 pm- Steve’s wife, Dalynn, asks, “So are you ready?”
My response, “I think so.” As I think about the 20 ounce coffee I just had on the way to the hanger. Give me a break! I was camping all weekend and was exhausted. I wanted to ensure that I would be 100% alert for this experience.

Dalynn, gave me some tips, “Tighten your legs, push your feet into the floor, and if you feel sick, Steve will give you a bag to carry with you.”

6:10 pm- “Are you ready?” says a cheerful Steve.
Part of me felt like snapping to attention and saying sir, yes sir! Apparently, I prepared myself too much by envisioning every scene from Top Gun prior to this day. I settled for, “Yes, sir.”
“Have you eaten anything?”
“Only breakfast, then a bowl of cereal at 3 pm.”
“Good.”
“Oh, actually, I had an iced coffee on the way over here.”
“You should be fine.”
I left out the part that it was 20 ounces, and a white chocolate mocha. Remember, I’m going to be flying at around mach 1 in a fighter jet. I think I need to be alert, right?

6:20 pm- We’re waiting for the fuel guy to come gas up the jet. Steve is frustrated. I’m relieved. I can’t stop thinking about how dumb it was to drink a 20 ounce white chocolate mocha just before I’m about to fly. The more time that passes, the better.

6:25 pm- Dang! Fuel guy is here!

6:35 pm- We’re in the flight suit room. For the record, that’s the name I gave this room. Again, visions of Top Gun begin flashing through my brain. All I can think about are the funky helmets that sport the call signs like- Viper, Maverick, and Iceman.

After I suit up, Steve hands me a neatly folded vomit bag to place in a pocket, strategically placed, just 5 inches below my neck. Great. Dalynn must’ve told him what kind of coffee I had.

6:40 pm- The excitement is truly beginning. I climb up the ladder on the glossy black fighter jet. Sitting inside this extraordinary machine was exhilarating. Although, with my tall frame, it was much like sitting in a Miata.

Seated in the plane, Steve remained on the ladder to go over important information. Not your normal flight attendant, seat belts low across the hips, 2 exits, type of spiel either. I’m talking about if you think we’re going to die, eject- type of spiel.

“If you hear me say, ‘Eject, Eject, Eject’, don’t ask any questions because you’ll be talking to yourself.” Now, I know good and well the chances of this situation are slim, but it’s still a possibility, so I paid attention like I never did before. In fact, my Sophomore English teacher would have been proud. At this point, I knew how to eject myself from the plane, should the occasion arise. In fact, I was so intrigued by the ejection seat, I couldn’t help, but to think, “What if I ejected just for fun.” Note to self- Edit this last sentence of the Blog before allowing Steve to see it.

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with G forces, it’s the amount of force one experiences when accelerating. 3 G’s refers to your body experiencing a force 3 times that of gravity. In some cases, pilots can actually pass out during flight.

“In the event that I pass out, and we’re at a high enough altitude that time is not too critical, I would appreciate it if you would eject my seat. If we’re going down fast, then take care of yourself.”

Quite frankly, I could only nod my head. My only thoughts, at that moment, was Steve’s wonderful family. I’m willing to bet, Steve made this request because he too had only one thought, his wonderful family. Steve reassured me that he'll do the same for me.

6:45 pm- Steve climbs in and begins flipping all sorts of switches and pushing buttons. All of a sudden, two screens light up with Window XP booting up. I mean this next statement no harm to PC users, in fact I am a proud PC user with MS Windows. Honestly, I couldn’t stop thinking about how my laptop seems to be having problems with viruses and spyware. I couldn’t bring myself to ask Steve if he had Norton Antivirus loaded on his plane. Note to self- delete this, too.

I’m sure it didn’t have Norton Antivirus, nor did it need it. Steve had this plane 100% equipped with the most amazing, cutting edge, modern technology, built specifically for this plane.

6:50 pm- We’re up in the air. So far, so good! And, the take off was amazing. It didn’t take long before we were really high and going really fast. Really high and really fast is highly technical aviation speak.

6:55 pm- We’re heading into the Owyhee Canyon. Did you notice the time difference? It was about 5 minutes! I believe it takes about 2 hours to drive to this particular part of the canyon.

Literally, before I know it, we are down inside the canyon... the canyon with recreational boaters, jet skiers, etc. I have know I idea how close we were to the water, but I can tell you, I was looking at the canyon walls, and we were below the tops of them. I’ll have to admit, I was mildly scared as we were tearing through there at 500 to 600 mph. At the same time, I was absolutely amazed at how Steve flew this plane so effortlessly and gracefully, carving from right to left. I couldn’t help imagining the awe we must have struck in the boaters below.

The end of the canyon was approaching, and Steve says, “When I tell you to, squeeze your legs tightly.” My response, “I haven’t stopped squeezing since we took off.” Thanks for the tip, Dalynn!

We shoot out of the canyon like a bullet, straight up in the air. Straight up… like towards outer space straight up! Just before we both were about to become astronauts, Steve did a “half loop”. I’m still replaying it in my mind, trying to figure out exactly what we did. All I know is that all of a sudden, the earth reappeared from the wrong direction. Perhaps, I need to go on a second ride just to make sure I know what we did. Note to self- bold last sentence so Steve reads it.

Sometime pm- It’s time for me to fly the jet. The Hawker Hunter is equipped with two “sticks” to fly the plane. Steve says, “Go ahead, take the stick.” Nervously, I grab the stick right in front of me and begin taking the plane up and up and up. “Okay, go ahead and bring it back down.” So I push the stick forward to level us out. I’m trying to get us to 10,000 feet. The slightest push forward makes me feel like an elevator dropping from the 50th floor to 0 in 1 second.

Steve takes control of the plane and introduces me to the “barrel role”. I believe the barrel role is a defensive maneuver used in air to air combat, aka- “dog fighting.” It’s when the plane completely roles sideways 360 degrees and returning to a rightside up position.

“Here, you give it a try.”
“What??? You’re kidding me!”
“Just take the stick and push it all the way to the left.”
Hesitantly, I took the stick and pushed it to one side and sure enough, the plane obeyed the movement from the stick, with what seemed like the grace of a ballerina.
“Can I go the other way?”, but this time, with much enthusiasm.
“Sure!”
I’m hooked! In fact, you can just start calling me Maverick. Wait, I hear Tom Cruise is a little crazy… how about Iceman. (Knowledge of Top Gun required for last statement)

Sometime later pm- I absolutely enjoyed the flight immensely. I am slightly disappointed in the stimulation overload my body experienced. The exhilaration was like drinking from a fire hose. Things happened so fast, I literally had to come home, lay down, and close my eyes to replay the entire flight in my mind. When you experience that much stimulation, it truly is very difficult to take in all at once. Two words sum up the experience- Truly Amazing!

8:15 pm- I handed back the same neatly folded vomit bag back to Steve.

Currently, I have been training Steve in Taekwondo. We've been training pretty intensely since he is determined to get his Black Belt. I could be mistaken, but I believe just as Rachel was snapping this picture, he was muttering, "You're in my world now, buddy!"












Moments before we begin taxing.
The helmet is gray, and it doesn't say Maverick or Iceman on it, but you can clearly see, I'm still happy to be here!
This picture was taken just after a bogey shot out our fuel tanks. Fortunately, the onboard Windows XP is capable of crash recovery!






Thanks for the ride, Steve!

Respectfully,

Duncan Richardson
Chief Master Instructor
The Academy of World Taekwondo
http://www.FreeKarateLesson.com

No comments: