Sunday, February 24, 2008

Indomitable Spirit

It was Bryce's second class. His enthusiasm for his martial arts training was absolutely stunning. Bryce is 7 years old. I have been teaching Taekwondo in Boise for 16 years, and have had the opportunity to see martial arts touch people's lives in such positive ways.

I'm happy to say, that I have been touched by Bryce's positive energy, and enthusiasm to learn. In fact, his enthusiasm is so radiant, I believe we can all benefit from it. You should see Bryce punch, and kick, or even just bow. Even if you've been in martial arts for several years, you'll be astonished at how he puts his heart into every detail of what I am teaching him.

I can't actually remember the last time I've seen a student be so intense and excited to learn Taekwondo, especially at the age of 7. I'm 100% convinced, if you saw Bryce kick, you'd be completely amazed by his focus and determination to hit his targets. You see, Bryce has Spina Bifida, a birth defect involving the neural tube. He trains, temporarily, in private sessions with his walker, that I call "hotrod", until he is able to join the regular group.

I believe Bryce has a story... a story that will reveal, with years to come, many chapters of perseverance and indomitable spirit. Bryce reminds me that there are no such things as limitations, just excuses. John Foppe, motivational speakers, who was born without arms says, "Even if I had the longest, strongest arms, there's only so high I would be able to reach..."

Although I am a teacher for Bryce, I believe he too is a teacher for us all.

Respectfully,

Duncan Richardson

No comments: